Thursday, March 28, 2019

An Awesome DNA Match


I had my DNA done several years ago and I have been patiently waiting for some really good DNA matches. I had several but I wasn't sure about them. They connected me to Hartmann's I didn't know about which is a good thing but my paper documentation didn't support what these matches were saying or what I knew from family lore. I didn't toss them out, I didn't accept them as fact but I just waited. My waiting has paid off.
Earlier this month (March 2019) I received a message via Ancestry from a new match. He had some detailed information in his message that really got my attention. 
Below is the message from my DNA Match JH.

I am new to ancestry and I have been tracing my family tree back on my fathers side and I think we may have a common ancestor.My grandfather is Frederick J. Hartmann( 1911-1983) ,My great grandfather is Frederick Hartmann(1883-1930),My great great grandfather is Joesph Hartmann (1845-1914) I Believe that my great grandfather Frederick Hartmann (1883-1930) is the connection,he had a sister Emma and a brother George Hartmann(1891-1943). Emma was married to John Berger and George was married to Mary. My great grandfather Frederick was married to Catherine Ashenbrenner(1888_1962) .If you are in any way related to George Hartmann then we may have a common ancestor.

I knew most of these name! The George mentioned here is my grandfather. Joseph is my great grandfather. So I responded and we began to share information and pictures. We both descend from Joseph Hartmann and we are second cousins once removed.
The very best part of all this is!!! He has a picture of my great father, two actually and one of them he is standing in front of the saloon he owned. 


810 Steinway Ave, Astoria, Long Island City, Queens, New York.

Below is the letter a cousin sent me in 1978, that talks about the saloon Joseph had. This cousin is the grandfather of my DNA match. The sad thing is life got busy and I didn't stay in contact. 


Back of the above photo, which was made into a post card. 

My new cousin has several photos with full descriptions on the back. So grateful for that person who took the time to label the pictures. 


Another picture of Joseph. 


This is the back of the above picture. Just to show you how easy it is to make a mistake. It states he is age 70 but the photo was taken in 1911. He died at age 69 and 6 months in 1915, the birth and death dates are correct. So some good person didn't have a calculator to do the math. 

I have more information to share and think about but for today I just wanted to share I have found so much more stuff that I have wanted to know about my Great Grandfather Joseph. 
I have a face to put with a name. 
May this brick wall continue to come tumbling down.



No comments:

Post a Comment