Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sounds: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History

Geneabloggers is hosting 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.

This topic took me a little while to decide what was the most important sound of my childhood.  But once I found it I was on fire to write it.  I even got out of bed to start writing this post.  I added a little video but it made my typing work too slow, so I got frustrated and went to bed. 
This morning I am ready to finish up.  

Mantel Clock
This is the item that made my favorite childhood and adult sound.  Even my kids like it.  Unfortunately the motor died for a second time and I haven't gotten it fixed.  But after thinking about this last night I am going to get it fixed one more time. 


Mary George 1952, Clock is on the TV

It was a wedding present to my parents.  It lived on top of the TV when I was a kid in Whitestone, New York. 










Mary 1965 Graduation



In Fort Lauderdale Florida it lived on a half hutch in the living room.  Here it is hidden behind my high school graduation cards.


I don't remember how it came to be mine or what year I received it from  my Dad.  I believe I have had it since I left home at 19. 


This picture shows the inside of that clock with the hammers that make the Westminster chimes.  I wish the label hadn't been riped off.  It chimed every 15 minutes.  This link actually shows the musical notes of the chime.

Manufacturer's Label


 The chimes start about 30 seconds after the start of the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment