Thursday, February 2, 2012

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy

Challenge 3: Assess yourself! You’re great at researching everyone else’s history, but how much of your own have you recorded? Do an assessment of your personal records and timeline events to ensure your own life is as well-documented as that of your ancestors. If you have a genealogy blog, write about the status of your own research and steps you may take to fill gaps and document your own life.

So I pulled out my timeline I made in 2008 and checked it out.  I updated it with a few events that took place over the last couple of years. 

For each event I wrote down and asked myself do I have the documentation and where it is stored.  Like my birth certificate & diplomas are in the safe, other documents are in the file cabinet and others with my genealogy binder.  So some I need to move to the same place, except for that birth certificate, that stays in the safe. 

The interesting things I noticed was that my birth certificate is not suitable for genealogy, it doesn't list my parents on it, just my name, place & date of birth.  It is official with the state seal on it.  It seems I need to request another one.  My Dad purchased this certificate in 1961 so I would have a copy. 

Floor Plan of my first home and
announcement of my new address
This is a copy of the floor plan of my first home I purchased in 1989.  I made many copies of this and wrote a note to all my friends and family announcing my new address.  This is a scan of my original copy.  It says:
August 30, 1989

Dear Friends & Family,
Just a special announcement, to let you know my new address~
2455 E. Broadway Rd # 66
Mesa, AZ 85204
phone # ( not listing it here as it is current)

And since I am now also an official home owner I guess that means you can write my address in ink in your books.  But than again who knows with me. 
Take Care & Be Happy
Love Mary

I did move again in 1993 after Richard & I had been married a year, 950 square feet isn't big enough for a family of 5, but we are still in the same home.

This was a beneficial exercise in updating your own documentation.  Thanks to Amy at We Tree for thinking up these ideas and Thomas at Geneabloggers for running this great series.   


No comments:

Post a Comment