Thursday, November 16, 2017

I Completed a Challenge

After reading this blog post, I decided to complete the challenge of 30 minutes for 30 days to do some small genealogy tasks. I am very pleased to say that it has been successful. I would also recommend it to you. It is a great way to tackle those big jobs and feel like you are accomplishing something. I have to say after a few days I began to feel a weight lifted off of me as I knew the tasks I dreaded were beginning to show progress. 
Some days I was so enjoying the process that I did spend more than 30 minutes doing whatever caught my interest. One night just after getting into bed I realized I hadn't done my 30 minutes so I got up and works on some files.  So, I am a little excited about this challenge.
Don't get me wrong I still have lots to do but I see progress and that makes it seem doable. I have already decided I will be doing this again, starting today.

I started on 17 October and finished yesterday the 15 November.
I started by reorganizing my computer files. I had folders on my external hard drive, on my new computer, and in Dropbox. I took the folders and placed them on my new computer and began to rename the folders and rename the files. So things label My Dad or Grandpa William now had formal names like: 
Hartmann, George J b1912  or Chaplin, William T b1884

So here is a shot of the first level of my Genealogy folders.


I put the 1 in front of my Genealogy folders so they 
are at the top of folder lists. 


Here is a shot of the Family Name Folders or Surnames. I still have more names to work on but this is as far as I have gotten so far. 


This is inside the Hartmann folder. adding the year they are were born helps me know which George I am dealing with, or on other lines which William. Family names were definitely pasted down. 


Above is the screenshot of my Dad's folder. I like how the date added to the document or picture makes a timeline of his life.  Being accurate in type really helps, I had to re-name my files more than once some time, to correct typos and extra spaces. I noticed this morning I still have to make a decision about how to label my transcriptions files.  I have two copies of his Birth Certificate transcription. Do I want them under each document or as a group at the bottom? I can see advantages to both. I don't have to decide today but I do soon, so I can be consistent. That is the key.
It was surprising how much time this takes to complete, but it will be worth it when it is finished. I will be able to find things and so will my daughters who will follow my work. 
This post is getting long so I will break it into two parts. More coming tomorrow. 
Have a great day and good luck with the search. 


2 comments:

  1. I like how you have named the files to put the documents and pictures into chronological order. Great tip that I'm going to use! Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your reorganizing effort!

    ReplyDelete