Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Happenstance, Serendipitous Event

Yesterday, September 7th, while reviewing the Timeline on my mother Edith. I found a few things I wanted to check out. I wanted to find her on the New York State Census of 1925, and 1935. I was able to find her on the 1925 Census. There are no more New York State Census records after 1925. 
I also wanted to fine more marriage or divorcee records from her first marriage. I didn't find anything more on the first marriage or the divorcee. 
I was very surprised to find a hint for an obituary. It was a Beta: Newspapers.com Obituary Index, 1940-1955. To see the imagine I had to sign into Newspaper.com. Luckily for me I won a year long subscription to the site from my local genealogy society. So I signed in and was able to see and read the obituary. 

I could share the imagine on Facebook from Newspapers.com but the copy I saved to my computer, what the call a clip is copyrighted. So I am not sure how to handle that.  So, I am going to use this imagine with all the information of where it came from. 


Here is the transcription:
HARTMANN - Edith (nee Chaplin), February 5, 1949, beloved wife of George Hartmann; devoted mother of Mary Elizabeth; dear sister of Beatrice Schaub and William Chaplin. Reposing at her late residence, 14-20 131st Street, College Point. Requiem Mass on Wednesday, 10 a.m., St. Fidelis R. C. Church, College Point. Interment St. Mary's Cemetery Flushing. 

It was a very sensitive moment for me. 


So I looked up the address of her last residence and this is the house I found. I have a vague memory of a house like this one. That my Dad's sister lived in when I was little. All I remember is it was in College Point and she had a very old fashion stove in it. Not a gas range like I had in my house. I wonder if this is the same house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment