Saturday, September 28, 2019

31 Days to Better Genealogy Day 4


I really have been busy working on my special project mentioned in Day 1. So this my Day 4 is way out of sequence from the hints I am following by Amy Johnson Crow but it is the hint that I have been working on. In her book 31 Days to Better Genealogy this is Day 31. So I jumped to the end. Right, it is my project, I can do it anyway I want. This hint is to write something, any thing, even just a page on an ancestor. 
I watched a webinar about using Scivener to help organize your writing. It sounded like a good tool to use to help me with my project of writing about each one of my ancestors for the Chaplin line. I found some more videos on how to use the program and downloaded the free trial. 
What I like about it, I can make sections, or pages and have one main idea on each page. I can move them around to rearrange the order. It lays it out in a way that makes it easier to write than to put it in one long word document. I can add pictures and make side notes, like check for this. I even copied my timeline for Edith from excel and pasted it onto a page. I also can add footnotes.  The program also has the ability to change fonts.
I am writing this more in a story form instead of an official case report. I haven't figured out how to do an official case report. I have some ideas but I will save that for a later day. 

Cork Board

On the cork board it a place to hold your index cards for your project.

Top of First Page

This is the top of the first page that is just the beginning of Edith's life. With an image of her Birth Certificate. 

Bottom of Page 1 with Footnote

This is the bottom of the first page that shows the footnote I added.  Oh my gosh my memory is gone. I forgot how I add this. I am thinking I took it from my genealogy software. 


This is the page where I inserted my timeline from excel. I just copied and pasted. 

I did just print page one to see how it looks and it looks very nice and the foot note is at the bottom. Much easier to add than I think it would be in a word document. 

So I am learning lots and feeling like I have a good start to my project. Once I finish with my first draft of each page, I will have someone else proof it for me. Once I make those corrections it will be on the her father. 



No comments:

Post a Comment