Sunday, February 21, 2010

The latest on Joseph


Maybe I should rename this post gratitude for the letter my Great Uncle Fred sent me. If I didn't have this letter I won't be able to connect the dots as well as I have. Thank You Uncle Fred for taking the time to write me.

No great finds yesterday at the Family History center but another connection. I found a 1912 Long Island City, New York Directory. On one page I found three Hartmanns, Fredrick a son and a conductor. Isn't it interesting that your occupation was listed in the city directory. Joseph liquors and Peter produce.
I did find another directory page for 1912 which was businesses only and I found Joseph Hartmann listed at the same address with the words liquors. I didn't make a copy since it was the same info just on another type of page.


Click to enlarge.
Now look at the information I have from Uncle Fred's letter. Joseph owned and operated a beer saloon at 710 Steinway Ave. The three sons worked for him and delivered beer to the employees of the renowned Steinway Piano Factory nearby. Fredrick later worked for the Third Ave Railway CO. The next paragraph talks about Pete, he would go to the market very early in the AM, purchase vegetables and such and then peddle them via horse and wagon to the public.

The more I think about it the more I think this was a pretty good find!!

One small step for me and my ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment