Monday, February 1, 2010

Scanning Documents

This is how the certificate looks in my hands.

Now you all know that I am a beginner when it comes to Genealogy. I would be willing to bet that some of you have figured this out already. But I'm going to share anyway. Yesterday Miriam here had a Scanfest. I couldn't join in at the time of the fest, so I just spent some time doing some scanning. While I was labeling my certificates I scanned I noticed I had a zoom button. I decided to zoom in on the very faded and hard to read document I was looking at. Guess what, I could read it. I was so happy!! It's a small thing but it made me happy. I was able to read in the computer things I couldn't ready while looking at the photstatic copy I had in my hands. I have had this certificate copy since 1978 or so and it is on thermal type paper, and it is fading badly. I'm very happy to have scanned it before it became worst.

The scanner can have more than one purpose. The names you see here are my great grandparents on my Dad's side.

3 comments:

  1. This is just awesome. I'm so happy for you...that you got this scanned while it's still readable. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try using the positive/negative button on your scanner, too, to help with hard-to-read documents, or even gravestones!

    I hope you can join us at February's Scanfest; Sunday, the 28th from 11 AM to 2 PM, PST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Now you can have a copy indefinitely, AND be able to read it close up!

    Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete