Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Birthday to M.E.!!



Well this Blog is about ME and My Ancestors, so today it is my turn!! Today is my birthday. It has been a pleasant day with fun activities and time with family and friends. This evening I went to dinner with my husband and his sister and her husband. I mostly just wanted to post my birth announcement and a baby picture. I think what is so special about them is that my father saved them to give to me. I'm not sure if my mother had him save them or his sisters or who. The important thing is he saved them for me and I really appreciated that. The inside of the announcements have my mother's handwriting on them, the only sample of her writing I have.


On my 17th birthday, my Dad gave me roses and a little silver heart on a chain. He told me my Mom had him pick it out for me before she died. He told me he picked out the white roses because pink are for a girlfriend, red roses are for a wife but white roses are for a daughter. That is the most sentimental thing I can remember him saying to me. I know it was the only time he ever gave me flowers or jewelry.



This morning one of my friends and I went to the Arizona Historical Society Museum, there was suppose to be a needlework show but it was cancelled. Mary Ann and I decided to see the museum anyway. I had never been there before. It was a nice small museum well planned and thought out. I also like museum. As we were walking out I remembered another birthday and a day at a museum. On my 11th birthday I was able to pick the place I wanted to go, so I picked the Museum of Natural History in New York City. It still is my favorite museum. It was my last birthday in New York that June we moved to Fort Lauderdale Florida.

I never went to school on my birthday in New York because at that time they still had a separate birthday holiday for Lincoln and Washington. When I moved to Florida I had to go to school on my birthday, that was a disappointment.
Well here's hoping to a good year of finding out more about my ancestors.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you had a special day. Happy birthday to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. How old were you when your mother passed away? That would have been hard, I think. Thanks for sharing your mementos and your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that's the cutest baby picture ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! Nancy my mother passed away 1 week before my first birthday & my Mom 1 week before my 17th birthday. You can see the posts tagged Annette & Edith

    ReplyDelete