Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Radio & Television: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History

Hosted by Geneabloggers: http://www.geneabloggers.com/
Created by Amy Coffin http://wetree.blogspot.com/

Week 6: Radio & Television. What was your favorite radio or television show from your childhood? What was the program about and who was in it?



The only time I listened to the radio was when I was sick, I listened to soap operas. I cannot remember the name of the soap. I was more interested in the sound effects than the story. I never followed them on TV either. This was while I was in New York. Just before moving to Florida I learned about Rock and Roll and then only listened to the top twenty on the radio.

Early TV shows I enjoyed were the Long Ranger, Captain Kangaroo, The Micky Mouse Club and Lassie.  Later it was Dick Clark and the American Bandstand.  Walt Disney on Sunday nights.

I can remember begging my parents to let me stay up late to watch Ed Sullivan to see Elvis Presley the first time he was on, September 9, 1956, and they let me. Of course he was the last act and that was very late for me to stay up.  My parents were firm believers in early to bed for the kids.  Anyway, I watched him and I was very disappointed and I thought I stayed up late to watch this.  I never was a big Elvis fan, I like some of his stuff but not a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment