Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fearless Females: Share a Name


This is my Paternal Grandmother Mary Jirak Hartmann, I just love the expression on her face in this photo. Doesn't it make you wonder what she is thinking?
To help celebrate Women's History Month Lisa at The Accidental Genealogist has posted Fearless Females 31 Prompts to Celebrate Women's History Month. I can't do all of the them, but I will do those I can. Today's prompt was: Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? I do share a first name of my grandmother Mary Hartmann my Dad's mother. I also share the same middle name as my Mother's mother, Minnie Elizabeth Chaplin. So I was named after both my grandmothers. My Aunt Bea, my Mother's sister told me they picked Elizabeth because my grandmother didn't like Minnie. So when ever I think of my maternal grandmother I think of her as Minnie Elizabeth. I never meet either of my grandmothers they were gone before I came along or shortly after. My parents always told me to respect my grandmothers and their names by being a good person. Not bad advice.


This picture is of my Mother Edith and my grandmother Minnie Elizabeth at Edith's 8th grade graduation. Minnie Elizabeth had been a widow for a few years by this photo. Her husband died when Edith was 9.

I should sign this post Mary Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment