Sunday, April 11, 2010

Organizing


I like things organized and some things I like organized more than others. I don't mind creative explosion in my sewing room that is being creative and finding just the right fabric to go in a quilt block. But if there is one thing that can send me over the edge is paper stuff. Especially when it starts to explode.

Many years ago I don't even remember where the idea came from, but I wanted to organize my Genealogy Binder. I took some old file folders cut them open and on the front side printed some information on the person who was in that folder. The front cover gave me some information at a quick glance such as: who, children, parents and documents I had on that person. The tab side was behind all the information on that person. The tab labels were color coded, blue for Hartmanns, yellow for Chaplins, red for other families. This dividers have severed me well since my binder have mostly been sitting on the bookshelves doing nothing. Now that I have been in my binder a lot more and looking at stuff they have not served me so well. All the papers in the sleeve protects cover up the tabs, so I had to really look around the pages to see whose tab I was in. Can you see that yellow tab peeking out at the top edge? Do you see what I mean?


While listening to the Genealogy Gems podcast someone suggested these dividers that are big enough for sheet protectors. I have all my copies of documents in sheet protectors. So I purchased some new dividers and re-typed my information sheets and inserted them into that divider which is also a sleeve protector, printed a nice label for the tab.

I like the clean new look. This is not my Research Binder that I take to the family History Library this is my stay at home binder. This is the too important to leave the house binder.

Now back to organizing. I also have computer files to reorganize after a hard drive crash, lucky for me everything was backed up on an external hard drive.

7 comments:

  1. Mary, I think we must think along the same lines. I, too, found the tabbed sheet protectors and bought a bunch. I love them. I often put either a family group sheet, if it's only one page long, or an individual summary in at the beginning of that person's information. I know I need to scan all my documents, but it sure takes a long time. Thanks for sharing how you organize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate paper, too, but my files are still not as well organized as these. And I never thought about research binders versus stay-at-home binders, but it's getting to the point I ought to. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, my husband has Chaplin ancestors, too. Maybe you're related?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. I keep telling myself that "one day" I will have the time necessary to get all the filing done that I need to do. Hopefully that day comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I keep telling myself that "one day" I will have the time to file things the way they should be, but that day just never seems to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inspired me! My folders are so unorganized. I'm so glad to have found your blog tonight. I'll be back as soon as my files are in order!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. I have recently re-organized my files using a colour coding system (which is great). I still use file folders as opposed to binders (for now anyways). Trying to keep track of what documents I have (or don't have) in the folder is becoming a nuissance. I really like this idea of listing everything in the folder/binder for easier reference. Will help to know what I still need to research.

    ReplyDelete