Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Week #1 – New Year’s Memories

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your memories on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.

I have thought about this prompt since it has been announced.  I have no memories of my parents going out for New Year's.  With my Mom being a nurse and my Dad a fireman I think going out on New Year's Eve would have been a crazy idea.  I think they were of the mind set, it is better to be home and safe and away from those crazy drunk drivers.

I know for myself I worked a lot of New Year's Eves, I was a nurse and I worked mostly 3 to 11:30 PM.  Some of them that I didn't work on or went out late left me with a feeling of disappointment.  Everyone is always making such a big deal about going out on New Year's Eve that it is so much fun and exciting.  Well it isn't that much fun if you don't have a special someone and I really don't like drunks.

One New Year's Day I broke up with a boy friend. He had been my first adult love. We had been going out for almost a year and a half. He had encouraged me to go to school to obtain my RN, I was a LPN when we meet. I believe it was the January before I graduated in May, so about 1972. Something that happened on New Year's Eve just made me feel I don't want to be with him any longer. He isn't growing, I was and it was time to move on, and so I did. I guess I felt like it was a good way to start the New Year. Every couple of years or so we would visit by phone. He hadn't changed, I had graduated with my RN, moved to Miami then graduated with my BSN. Eventually I joined the LDS church, went on a mission. We lost touch with each other. I hope where every he is life has been good for him.

On a few New Year's Eve I went to the Miami Florida Orange Bowl Parade with a group of friends.  Now that was fun!  We get there early to find a place on the sidewall put up our chairs and have a sandwich while waiting for the parade.  I know I have pictures some place of some floats but I can't find them now. 

We never had a traditional meal on the Eve or New Year's Day in my home as a kid and I don't have one now.  I often thought of doing it but never think of it around New Year's. 

My husband and I stay home ad we can barely stay up until midnight.  Traditionally on New Year's Day I take the Christmas Tree down and put all the decorations away. 

My kids would say I am boring, so be it!


No comments:

Post a Comment