Tuesday, May 24, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History Week 13 Sweets

Hosted by Geneabloggers: http://www.geneabloggers.com/

Created by Amy Coffin http://wetree.blogspot.com/

I have been busy and have not kept up with the weekly theme,  but today I have time to write one. 
What was your favorite childhood candy or dessert? Have your tastes changed since then? What satisfies your sweet tooth today?

I love sweets!  It is all my Mom's fault.  I take no credit for my sweet tooth. A meal is not complete without desert especially after lunch and dinner. 
My Mom packed a candy bar in each lunch bag on school days.  It was usually a Snickers or a Milky Way.  I sure did enjoy them. 
For dinner desert we usually had ice cream.  We didn't eat it right after dinner we usually ate it a little later.  We liked any favor.  If we only had vanilla ice cream some times we would mix Sanka instant coffee into to it or added a spoonful of peanut butter on the side.  Of course Hersey's chocolate syrup was always a good add on.

Sometimes for snacks my Mom would give us a sugar sandwich, you got it white bread, butter and sugar.  I never gave my kids one of these and we sure liked them but I won't eat all those empty calories now.  If we couldn't sleep she made us hot milk with vanilla and sugar.  Sometimes she even made us a little egg nog, on the spot, milk, egg, vanilla and sugar, but this was cold milk.

My Dad worked in a Farm Store when we first moved to Florida.  They were a little drive up store that sold milk, eggs, bread, ice cream, cottage cheese.  He use to bring ice cream home from the farm store, it was a good quality of ice cream.  I won't tell you how many times when I had kids at home and need milk or bread on the way home from work, that I wished there was a drive through Farm Store to go to. 

Now a days I like dark chocolate, milk chocolate is bland. Since I was a young adult I would rather eat the Nestle's Semi-Sweet chips out of the bag then eat the cookies.  I have a bag of these in my draw at work, but don't tell anyone.
I still want a small piece after lunch, the bite size or a couple of kisses instead of a full bar.  I still love ice cream after dinner but don't eat it.  Well at least not every day.  I settle for a dark chocolate kiss instead.  My husband & I love to stop at Dairy Queen on the weekends. 
 
And it is all my Mom's fault that I have a sweet tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment