Wednesday, January 4, 2012

52 Week to Better Genealogy Public Library

Two years ago Amy from We Tree did a 52 weeks to better Genealogy.  I had just started my blog and had just started researching so I didn't feel I was ready to participate.  But this year I am ready and I am doing the activities this year! Better late than never!

Go to your local public library branch. Make a note of the genealogy books in the collection that may help you gain research knowledge. Don’t forget to check the shelves in both the non-fiction section and the reference section. If you do not already have a library card, take the time to get one. If you have a genealogy blog, write about what you find in your library’s genealogy collection.
So today after work I went to the Mesa Public Library about 3 miles from my home and did a search.  I had planned to search the catalogue before going but forgot to do it before going to the library. 
I started by doing a catalog search for the subject Genealogy.  There are 345 books with the subject of genealogy. About the 3rd book down I checked for availability and it was in another branch so I requested it: Planning your trip to the Family History Center.  You never know when I will make a trip but it won't hurt to have ideas. 

There were books on how to do, for Dummies and Idiots as well as on line research.  There were your traditional Genealogy books like The Source and Un-puzzling your Past. Books on how to: journal, write your life story and write your family history, knowing your medical and behavioral family history.  That last topic sounds very interesting.  How to use maps and even in house references material on Using Civilian Records for Genealogical Research from the National Archives.  I didn't look at all 345 books but I now know they have a good variety.  There are also many novels that I will look into on another day.
I took down some Dewey numbers and went looking in the stacks.  I found books on culture, DNA & genetics, Scrapbooking your family history, and the books listed above. 
I even checked out three books. 
Checked out books
Discovering Your German Ancestors, Scrapbooking your Family History & Going to Salt Lake City to do Family History Research.  I must want to make that trip real bad to check out one and request another book on the same topic.
So my little trip was well worth the time and I am going to revisit my local library more often.
One small step for me and my ancestors!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy the series. Some of the websites and tools used in the prompts no longer exist. You might have to make adjustments. Just have fun. That's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete