Tuesday, January 10, 2012

52 Weeks of Personal History Fame

Week #20 – Fame: Tell us about any local brushes with fame. Were you ever in the newspaper? Why? You may also describe any press mentions of your family members.

I have been in the newspaper 4 times for myself and mentioned in an article about my Dad. I will do a separate post about my Dad's article. 
East Valley Tribune
You can see the previous post I wrote about three other times I have been in the paper. The fourth time was in 2000 when I received an excellence in Oncology Nursing Award. This was a national award and I was chosen from many other worthy candidates. It was an honor to be nominated my the local chapter in Phoenix of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS).  I still have a copy of the questionnaire I filled out to receive the award.  I was very surprised when I was notified that I would be the recipient.  It is truly an honor as there are many wonderful oncology nurses out there.  Even some of the other nurses I worked with would be worth of this award.

Arizona Republic
On a personal level it was a very healing time for me.  As I wrote my acceptance speech and reviewed my feelings about being an Oncology nurse I was able to thank the Heavenly Father for the experience of loosing two mothers to cancer before the age of 17.  Not a pleasant experience at all but definitely a character defining experiences. Just remembering that time brings tears to my eyes it was so meaningful to me. 



Program cover
I have a picture of me speaking at the award lunch in front of 600 or so Oncology nurses someplace and of course because I want it I cannot find it.  I will post it when I find it.








The Advocate
This article was in the Advocate a quarterly newsletter from US Oncology, which is networks of community-based oncology physicians.  The practice I worked with was a member of this organization.

In case you are wondering I purchased a new bedroom set of furniture with the award money.


1 comment:

  1. Belatedly, congratulations. What a wonderful honor, thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete