Sunday, January 1, 2012

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History Nicknames

What was your childhood nickname, and what was the meaning behind it? You can also discuss the nicknames of other family members, both past and present.

My Dad called me Mary Puss, I am not sure how this came to be my nickname and he usually was the only person who called me by that nickname.  And when I was in a bad mood, it was Sour Puss.  Now that I understand how I earned that nick name because I would just get the longest sourest face a kid could contort their face into if I was not in a good mood or not getting my way. 
I did a dictionary search of the word puss, just because it is a fun thing to do.  One of the definitions is: Informal . a girl or woman: often used as a form of affectionate address. It's origins are Dutch and Low German.  My Dad was raised in a German community.  So this now makes more sense to me. Fun the things you learn as you get older.

My brothers called me Mar, and frequently sang the song the old gray mare just ain’t what she used to be.  Not my favorite song.
When I was a young adult some of my friends called me Duck, because they said I walked like a duck.  Rather embarrassing. 

When the very popular satire on soap operas, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman was on TV everyone called me by my full name twice.  It eventually was shortened to Mary Mary.

I once worked in an Oncologist office and there were three Mary's, Mary A, Mary O and myself.  I didn't want to be Mary H, and I was the only nurse so I suggested I should be called Chemo Mary because I gave the patients their chemotherapy and so another nickname was created.  And boy did it stick.  To help break the ice with the patients I would introduce myself as Mary Mary quite contrary but I only had one lousy petunia in my garden.
My brother George was Georgie Porgie, not very original.  Donald & Edward were just Don & Eddie. 
My sons call each other “Ace” and I call my husband Ace sometimes, I think it started with the movie Ace Ventura.  Doesn't everyone want to be an "Ace"?

There is one Nick Name I am glad I never had and that is Typhoid Mary, but I am sure some people want to call me that when I have my bronchitis with that terrible cough.   


No comments:

Post a Comment